Jesus promised the Holy Spirit to the disciples as shown in John 14:25 All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
The New King James breaks down the characteristics of the Holy Spirit John 14:26 But the Comforter (Counsellor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you.
The Holy Spirit is sent to teach you all things about Jesus. He was sent by the Father as Jesus knew the disciples were concerned about what would happen to them after he left.
Old Testament references on the purpose of the Holy Spirit reveal that when you received Jesus Christ as your saviour you received a Helper – the Holy Spirit was intended to teach you about God as cited in
Jeremiah 31:33 This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time, declares the LORD. I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. 34 No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, Know the LORD, because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.
Ezekiel 36:24 For I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land. 25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. 28 Then you will live in the land I gave your ancestors; you will be my people, and I will be your God. 29 I will save you from all your uncleanness. I will call for the grain and make it plentiful and will not bring famine upon you. 30 I will increase the fruit of the trees and the crops of the field, so that you will no longer suffer disgrace among the nations because of famine. 31 Then you will remember your evil ways and wicked deeds, and you will loathe yourselves for your sins and detestable practices. 32 I want you to know that I am not doing this for your sake, declares the Sovereign LORD. Be ashamed and disgraced for your?
God intention from the beginning was to enter a relationship with you through the death and resurrection of our Lord and this was through the Holy Spirit. I am not negating the purposes of Apostles, preachers and other teachers but the Teacher of Teachers is the Holy Spirit and since He is the one who was at your creation at the beginning of time, whom best would tell you about your life and how to guide you through life?
Some checkers for Holy Spirit is activity in your life
- In an audible voice. This voice is not heard by others but only you. Daniel and Paul experienced this.
- The first sign of Holy Spirit activity is you get the Gift of tongues. This is your prayer language. As Paul said, He who speaks in tongues speaks directly to God in an unknown language and in my observations in His Wisdom no tongue talking believer has the same language or vocabulary given the estimated number of 2 billion Christians we can carry conversations to the Father, Son and Holy Ghost and not understand a thing from each other. Isaiah 55:11. This is the pure genius of God to create a language that allows us human beings to speak problems, concerns, anxieties or solutions to our problems, with no interference or anyone to stall our plans. The Devil cannot understand what you are saying and that is why in many instances, you will find when you are praying in tongues you get all sorts of distractions and this is due to the flesh fighting the Spirit as we are all sensual and deal in this realm.
- Your prayer life changes He will create a hunger for you to pray
- You will also notice that your speech changes. In James 3, James talks about taming the tongue so God in his Wisdom deals with the smallest but most powerful tool in your life. Proverbs 18: 21 The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
- The Bible makes sense, you receive revelation of the Hidden Word. Many may have heard the use of the word Logos which is the written word; and Rhema which is the revealed word. The Holy Spirit teaches you the Word and reveals Jesus in the bible.
- The Holy Spirit will comfort you and help you make lifes decisions or warn you of any dangers not only just to you but to those around you.
Those are there are several others for Graduate class (smile)The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
The gifts are in you and are manifest for the ministry the work you attend on behalf of Jesus not just the pulpit. It is important to note the Holy Spirit is a person – He has feelings. He convicts, grieves and laughs with you, He advises you and He comforts you and He is a gentleman He will not intrude neither does He stay where there is sin. Darkness and Light cannot dwell in the same heart. To hurt the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable sin with God the Father and The Son. The Holy Spirit is the Giver of these Gifts, He does not consult the Father or Son but as they exist in a symbiotic relationship God the Father and Son are in agreement in Him based on the purposes ordained for you. The only two people who functioned in the 9 gifts are Jesus and Paul.
In Corinthians 14 it is relevant to break the Gifts into three separate groups
|Message of wisdom||Prophecy||Faith|
|Message of Knowledge||Diverse tongues||Healing|
|Distinguishing of Spirit||Interpretation of Tongues||Miraculous|
With the breaking down of groups it is evident that there is a distinction of the gift of prophecy available to all and the revelatory gifts. The operation of each gift and/or the combination of the gifts is all determined by the Holy Spirit.